Wednesday, June 9, 2010

body guard please!


I have been filling in at the retirement home I used to work part-time with. Just on an 'as needed' basis. I sit at the front receptionist desk taking phone calls, sorting mail, trouble shooting random questions, playing 'banker' for residents and just trying to keep people happy on the front lines.


Residents in the nursing home come down in their wheel chairs and walkers to see the birds or look around. One particular cute little lady with white hair, glasses and weighs not more than 100 lbs came down in her wheelchair the other day to say 'hi' and to look around. While she was down here, a gentleman came in to wait for someone he had an appt. with. He stood around for about 5-10 minutes before leaving for his appointment. I noticed the resident had stopped just on the other side of my desk and set there, not really doing anything, just sitting facing the gentleman and the door.


After he left she wheeled over to my desk and this is how the conversation went:


Resident: Did you know that man?

Me: No

Resident: I didn't think so. I could tell he's the kind who could cause trouble

Me: Oh yeah? Well he was just waiting to meet someone.

Resident: (not hearing what I said) I decided to kind of hang around up here just in case you needed anything. I can tell when someone is up to no good.

Me: Well, I am so glad you did! You could have run him over with you wheelchair if he tried anything huh?!

Resident: -Laughing- 'Yes I could!'


She wheeled past the desk on her way down the hall, looking over her shoulder in a very concerned and matter of fact tone stated:


"Now I'll be down the hall, just around the corner. If you need anything, you holler"


And she wheeled off down the hall, around the corner.


I was SO relieved I had a bodyguard at my beckon calling!

These people make me smile!

3 comments:

  1. SOOO funny! I love it! What a sweetie. Maybe she knew some sort of special karate moves or something! HA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome! I guess being a protective "mother" type doesn't go away as you age, huh? I bet you get lots of fun stories from that job. :-)

    ReplyDelete